April 19, 2024, 11:43:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANYONE HEARD OF A NEW AILMENT IN DOGS?  (Read 580 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2023, 09:51:07 am »

Day before yesterday evening a 3 yr old dog was fit as a fiddle looked good bouncing and barking and ate well when I fed, yesterday evening when I fed he was nearly dead "seemed to be having respiratory trouble" I filled him full of strong antibiotics and told my wife he'd probably be dead this morning and he was. I'd never saw nor heard of a respiratory issue coming on and being terminal that fast.
Had another 4 yr old female that didn't feel good a week or so ago and geve her a couple or 3 days of antibiotics and to date she if fine. I did not notice her having respiratory issues, she just felt lousy and didn't eat all her feed and she is the kind that eats all you give her when you give it it her.
Sort of has me concerned, if the male had been alive and still showing symptoms I'd have had the vet take a look at him.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 10:04:00 am »

Was he one of them y’all had hunting the other day and could he have took a bad hit? Only thing I’ve ever seen act that quick was a busted inside with no visible damage to the outside. Didn’t even know the dog was hurt, just looked stove up from hunting and running all day.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:31:45 am »

Sorry for the loss of your dog.
-
Maybe Blasto? Typically more of a problem up North. The suddenness of it almost sounds like he may have ingested a poison/contaminant. Hope they ain’t putting out that Warfrin based poison in yalls area. Hope you figure it out.

https://amp.hillspet.com/dog-care/healthcare/blastomycosis-in-dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 10:37:55 am »

Old man canine influenza is supposed to be going around pretty bad. My nephew has an American bulldog that he catches with. On the way into the first bay the other day he was doing that snorting that the soft palleted Americans do when they get hot or winded. I asked him if he had his collar on too tight and it wasn’t. He’s usually a pretty dependable catch dog but he he was bad off his game that day. Had two hogs pull away from him and when he went to give chase just looked like it was all he could do to put one foot in front of the other. After talking to youngest boys about it, he said dad you remember the other day you said Outlaw and Ranger looked like they were spent and they never act that way? I did make that comment on the hunt before this one. When I read up on the symptoms, it said that it creates a mucus and even a kennel cough sometimes. Of course they are going to run a fever too. If your dog had anything going on that you might not have been aware of or he was stressed from a hard hunt, his immune system might have already been compromised. It’s not too far fetched that influenza mutated or turned into pneumonia. It could even be that it was too much for his organs (heart, kidneys, or both)  which caused him to not to be able to rid fluid and caused him to drown more or less. We’ve had dogs during all this that acted just like your female. Whatever it was I hope you figure it out and I’m sure sorry you lost him. I know he had to be a nice dog or you wouldn’t have been feeding him.

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 02:54:42 pm »

Sure sorry for ur loss man.  It’s a puzzle when one that young does that.  We need to start crossing a stray mutt to all our dogs so they can have that mutt blood in em.   That way they’ll live longer than us. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 05:21:39 pm »

He had no recent injuries, hadn't been turned lose in 10 days or so, and although that was in strange country it has been too long for him to have gotten into poisin. I had looked up the canine influenza and it seems to have been to sudden and severe. If he had symptoms before yesterday he hid them extremely well. I appreciate you'alls input.   It did look like pneumonia though, it was just such a sudden onset. I mean day before yesterday evening at feeding time he was clean, full, hungry, and bouncing 3 feet high, then yesterday he was barely able to stand and walk, feverish, struggling to breathe and slobbering. Also had drawn up a lot but there was no vomit or scouring in his chain circle. 
If he'd been symptomatic a day or two I'd have thought the canine flu had turned into pneumonia. I had wormed them about 10 days ago also but no new wormer "same routine" and counting pups had wormed about 25 head and no others have had an issue.     I guess if you  have them you will lose some.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 06:22:00 pm »

Dang, I agree you just don’t know when it’s your time. I still hate it for ya. He must’ve been good or it wouldn’t have happened to him. The sorry ones seem to live forever lol.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 06:46:36 pm »

Talked to Cajun a bit ago and I think he nailed it, don't know why I didn't remember it "twisted gut" all the symptoms and the rapid onset fit.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 08:21:10 pm »

I wouldn’t doubt ole Cajun. I’ve never had a twisted gut incident knock on wood.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 03:54:55 am »

I agree twisted organ of some sort I've had a twisted Spleen on my yard that I caught just in time wouldn't have made it another 20min before surgery and a twisted euturis here and about the same thing definitely wouldn't have made it through the night had emergency surgery.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 11:25:00 am »

Old man, I think that the twisted gut makes sense. I had a scare with it last year with two dogs and learned about it during that. It can kill them very very quickly. My two dogs were fine, I hunted them hard, took them home and fed them a small amount and then took them on another hard hunt about 6 hours later if I remember correctly. I shouldn’t have fed them, but I did since they were basically hunting for 2 days straight. After that second hunt they were both lethargic, threw up all their food and stopped eating. I couldn’t get them to eat for several days. Vet said their white blood cell count was high and gave them some antibiotics. I thought for sure I was going to lose at least one of them. I think it was a partially twisted gut that wasn’t very bad and it straightened itself back out. I think that if it’s full blown twisted gut they can die within a few hours if they don’t have surgery.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: