April 24, 2024, 06:58:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pups and/or Prospects  (Read 5668 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 08:22:17 pm »

BoarNinja, if she is 13 months old and doing that good I sure would keep feeding her.........

I don't really even start hunting my pups until they are about a year old usually. I don't want them wrecked by a bad boar hog at 6-8 months old as I have had that ruin a pup in the past. I usually start them in a controlled situation, such as releasing a sow or young boar and letting them hunt it. That way I pretty much know what they are going to get on and can control whats going to happen.

We turned Monkey and a 10 month old Monkey x JJ male pup (that isn't mine) out last Feb. Dogs were not out 10 minutes, Monkey bays, pup goes to him and its a 205 lb boar hog in palmettos and myrtles.  Monkey tried to catch when the pup got there, got slung off, the pup didn't quite know what to do, wound up getting wrecked. Monkey was cut in one place, pup got a bunch of staples in 4 places...some cuts were 8"-9" long.....so I try to prevent this as much as possible on young dogs.

Most of my dogs will bay by themselves, but when you get there and crowd the hog, or turn another dog to them, they are going to catch.

Personally, I like the red dogs first, yellow dogs second, and everything else third....LOL

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »

That's my kind of dog BoarNinja, sounds like a keeper!

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »

I agree that I started her a little young. I have seen puppies get wrecked and I try to avoid it when I can. I lead her to the bay when she was starting and only cut her loose on select hogs.  I didnt let her run out with the other dogs until she was around 8 months old. She was getting hunted 2 and 3 times a week and had her legs under her pretty good at 8 months. She got real catchy around 10 months old and was strapping it on some pretty big hogs until she got a little cut one day. She still catches but rarely gets cut and only after I show up at that. The 2 times she has been cut were not bad at all.
She is getting very selective of when and were she catches and it seems to be working for her.
Ive carried her all by her lonesome a few times just to get a better look at her and she has performed better than I could expect at her age and found hogs.
Last month I took her to a place and poked around until I walked up on some sign. She was busy as heck hunting so I just sat right down in the middle of it and let her work. After 23 minutes with her being gone I was wondering if she was going to get them figured out and then she bayed.
Well booger barked I guess. Id never heard her opening bark sound like it did that day. Kind of like a sick hound and then she bayed pretty good but it wasn't intense as her barking usually is.
I only had about 500 yards to get to her so it didn't take me to long. I slipped in on her to see that she was staying about 20 to 25 yards back and working in a half circle, baying more than 15 good hogs!
I aint seen that in a wile! I guess thats why she was barking at them like she was. A lot of hogs and no grown ups to give her any encouragement.

Im still waiting for that nose she has bread into her to show up more but I haven't been this excited about a prospect in over 10 years.
Thats probably why I have done a few things with her against my better judgment.

You know crackerc? Best dogs Ive ever owned can be listed in your color order! #1 red #2 yellow, #3 everything else. lol

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

Here's my youngest "up and commers".  Three weeks old this past Saturday.

And here's Mom.   Not that it matters, but I would have bet anything I would have gotten at least ONE saddleback but it looks like I got all yellow dogs.  Ten born (5 males, 5 females) but the runt (a male) died the next day.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:45:06 pm by Bryant » Logged

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:14:18 pm »

Dang Bryant!

That litter looks like you "photoshopped" the same puppy 8 times!

Great looking litter!!!

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
parker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »

my best colors  has  been  black  and  brindles  yellows  and  red  last ........ but   98 %  of  what  i  have  hunted  has  been black  and  brindles .....maybe  ya'll  have  the  same  problem  i do .....lol
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:04 am »

Bryant,

Nice welping box.  It looks good.  Those rails can really do the trick at times.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:59 am »

Bryant,

The pups look good and healthy! I am a firm believer in taking care of the pups. A lot of guys figure the mother should take care of them the first 2 months, but I do it differently. We start worming our pups at 2 weeks and worm them every 2 weeks after that. We start feeding them good puppy food at 3 weeks of age. With a big litter, that really helps the momma dog.....Usually by the time my pups are 5 weeks old they are weaned and don't need momma anymore.

BoarNinja,

Sounds like you have a good one coming on. If she worked for over 20 minutes by herself and put hogs on the end of it at a year old, I would say you definately have one to be proud of. No harm in her booger barking a few times on a group of hogs and her by herself. May be the first time she has seen that many hogs together. Let her confidence build and I bet she will be better with the groups next time.
So, tell me again when you are sending her down here to Fla?Huh??   Grin

Larry,
I always say thats why they make more than vanilla ice cream. Everyone has different tastes! Think how boring it would be if we all hunted the same color and type of dogs. We all like our own dogs for our own reasons and the way we hunt. My dogs probably wouldn't work for you as you seem to like a long range dog. I like a dog that handles and is more of a close/medium  range fairly rough type of dog. We both catch hogs so both types work. Its just a matter of what you like, and how you hunt......but I still like red dogs....LOL  I think my bad experience with some Plotts soured me some on the black & brindle dogs in general.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:02:54 am by crackerc » Logged

uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 10:51:44 am »

I know most of yall are putting up your Strike dog prospects, but this is my catch dog pup that I have been real excited about, pretty much the momma was "my pick of the litter" and we have been waiting for her to grow up and prove herself to be the dog that she was planned to be, Well she is and now the cross was made and here is my newest addition......
This here is my newest baby "UDR Longshot Karma" 6 wks. out of Longshots "Nickel" and Bryant D. "Zeus", both those dogs are our Captain/Lucy blooded dogs....soooo, I can't wait to see how well she fills their shoes. Maybe James / Critter / Bump will put theirs up theirs online too and we can see the whole litter.

The momma Nickel is 3/4 AB 1/4 Dogo, the daddy is 1/2 AB 1/2 Dogo she reminds me of my Smoochy very much, but I don't expect her to quite as tall, but same head, frame, and stride.

parker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:25 am »

here  is  3  littermate  pups  about  6  months  old ....
heres BILL

this is bones

this is sally

here is  poncho  he  just turned  2  years  old .... he  wind s off the  buggy  and  out  of  the front  of  a boat ....

parker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 11:52:07 am »

here's  sally  above  picture  didn't  work ....

crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:14 pm »

Now Larry, I don't care much for black and brindle dogs, as a rule, but the pic you posted of your Poncho dog sure caught my eye. He looks just about like I want one to look. I only see two things wrong with him.....he ain't red and he ain't bob tailed....LOL

Just kidding, they really do look good. I hunted with Steve McQueen in Ga several years ago. He had two of your dogs. Those are the only two "real" Parker dogs I have ever seen. Steve really liked the male, seemed to be a typical Parker dog. Long range, good nosed, but you went and found him when you turned him loose as he wasn't coming back to you and hanging around, thats for sure. Last I heard the female just wasn't working for him like the male was. You still talk to him?

BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »

Mr Parker, Did you name your Pancho dog after some one? I knew a man years ago that had a dog looked alot like that dog, and everyone called this man Pancho.
nosightsneeded
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 09:33:01 pm »

I am going to keep one of the pups my brother is giving away she is the runt and is the funniest dog I have ever seen. She is kennel mates with Gus so maybe she will pick up n some stuff from him. I named her Lilly and she hates pigs and this glove i tied to a fishing string.

i couldnt post without putting up a pic of Gus he is 14 months old now.

parker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:39 pm »

the  female  steve  had  went  on and  made a  real  good  dog ....he  told  me  at times  she  wa s finding  ahead  of  sam ......  when  i started  her  for  him  she  got  cut  down  in the  belly  figured  it  might  have  made  her  back  up  .....but  steve  sent  me  some  pictures  of  her  mangled  perty good ....then  one  day  she  didn't  make  it out ..... but  he  said  she  sure  was  makeing  a   dog ......

about  poncho  a  friend  of  mine  named him  poncho .....if  your  talking about  ponch  simpson  i  never   met him but  i  have  some  freinds  around  evedale  and silsbe  texas that  new  him  and has  talked  about him  alot .......
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 09:13:07 am »

Glad to hear Steve's female turned around. When I was up there he was disapointed she wasn't hunting like Sam was. Course, I think she was younger.

I actually went up to hunt with his yellow dog, but I can't remember the dogs name.......anyway, he was a dog from Fla that Steve liked and I went to see about breeding a female to him. Never did get any pups from him, but I liked the dog.

BarrNinja
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

BoarNinja,

Sounds like you have a good one coming on. If she worked for over 20 minutes by herself and put hogs on the end of it at a year old, I would say you definitely have one to be proud of. No harm in her booger barking a few times on a group of hogs and her by herself. May be the first time she has seen that many hogs together. Let her confidence build and I bet she will be better with the groups next time.
So, tell me again when you are sending her down here to Fla?Huh??   Grin

She bayed them about 30 minutes before she left with one. She started working tighter when she realized I was there and a big saw had all she could stand of it. She charged out at my gyp and when she tried to rejoin the group of hogs my pup latched up to her tail. They spun in a circle about twice before my gyp lost her grip and then that saw was outta there. I caught up to her about an hour and a half later. She was back trailing herself and coming to find me. Before I lost her signal in the creek bottom she must have stopped that sow for a little wile because I heard her bay about 800 yards away for a few minutes. After that she was just gone in the palmettos until I found her coming back.

I normally dont post anything about prospects of brag on any dogs except for my son's old brindle dog. He has earned it after 10 years of finding hogs for us and showing my son the ropes as much as I have, but this gyp is really showing something and I guess I just needed someone to give me a little validation. A pinch on the arm to make sure Im not dreaming so to speak. lol.
I hope she finishes out like I expect her too!!! I've been waiting on a gyp like her for a long long time.

crackerc,
The only thing I recall said about dogs traveling is you bringing those nasty Florida curs of yours to Texas! lol.
Better bring them in an armored truck is all I can say!       Grin

uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:53 am »

This One For Ryan TBH here are Puppy photos of Karma and how she is bred in this thread

RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 10:49:25 am »

Fun looking back at the old posts huh? Grin

Here's my youngest "up and commers".  Three weeks old this past Saturday.

And here's Mom.   Not that it matters, but I would have bet anything I would have gotten at least ONE saddleback but it looks like I got all yellow dogs.  Ten born (5 males, 5 females) but the runt (a male) died the next day.

Bryant,

I need to add one of those rails in my whelping box... And do u still have that saddle back bitch?

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »

No...gave her to a guy in Thorndale that still has her though.

I also don't have any of those pups left.  I kept all but two...started them and they hunted like crazy...very rough though and didn't last terribly long.  A guy still has a female named Maggie out of that litter that is still hunting.  Only one left.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: