April 23, 2024, 11:10:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cast Hunting  (Read 2199 times)
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 02:31:08 pm »

Pwilson I don't think I have anything special as far as dogs go but they suit me.    I do although think I know what to expect out of a good bred dog tho.
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 02:58:43 pm »

But I think any one would say the same about there dogs and what they know to expect from one but I don't think talking is going to prove number 2 so it's time to start showing u know what I'm saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 03:25:27 pm »

No I guess I don't.   What are you "sayin"?
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 05:21:48 pm »

I think he is saying let the tailgate drop and the BS stop lol. I get what every one is saying I have casted my dogs before unless it's in decent sign they ain't going no where till I get out of my truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:08 am »

I don't hunt casting hog dogs. I spent the first 20 or so years of my life hunting with my dad casting deer and coon dogs. These dogs u could point the tailgate at the woods 1/4 to 1/2 mile across a field. When u dropped the tailgate they went where u pointed them. If they hit a track while crossing the field u could watch them line out if not they worked to the woods before fanning out. These dogs hunted without us. We were simply the ride to and from the woods. They hunted constantly getting further and further till they found the game of choice. Very seldom did they come back without calling them or cutting them off.  I was thinking of going to this type dog for use when hunting big blocks with limited access. I decided not to simply because just as with those deer dogs the same problem would arise. Property lines. Instead I hunt dogs that range 300 to 500 with my longest ranging to about 1000 on a good day. I know guys that run dogs that will reliably cast and hunt an area 360 degrees to 3/4 of a mile slowly circling out. They have fine dogs that were bred with traits that were what they were looking for. I feel as far as training a dog to go deep that is more up to the dog and the dogs u put them with. I feel we as hunters take way more credit than is due when it comes to training. I feel that credit goes to the adult dogs we hunt them with and the inherent drive the dog posses.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »

People always get butt-hurt when this subject comes up because they just assume when someone says they hunt a certain way that they are also saying their dogs are better because of it.

All boils down to personal preference and also the terrain your hunting.  I've caught lots of hogs behind all types of dogs, but I personally prefer the deep casting ones.  If I had land more suitable to rigging, then that's how I'd hunt but I don't.  Casting dogs are a pain in the rear most of the time and for most people who talk about wanting them, they've never spent hours in the woods trying to get them caught when they are ready to go home.  However, I am lazy and I don't feed dogs to have to move them around....AGAIN just my personal preference.

Having screwed up a lot of dogs through the years (I didn't know many hog hunters when I started so much of what I learned was through my successes and failures) I would have to almost 100% agree with that video.  Only thing I would change is start the video with "So you have a well bred pup, now here's what you do...".  I agree 100% with the guy (whoever he is) that the biggest thing when raising a pup to hunt this way is to not screw it up and undo what your breeding has done.  It's easier than you may think to take a well bred go-yonder dog and train him (without even knowing your doing it) to sniff tailpipes.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 06:45:29 am »

When I first got into hog hunting my friends hunted this way. I thought it was cool. Point a dog into the woods and wait for a bay. This dog was long range and never checked in. .. don't like that type any more. More often than not he's across some type of body of water or off property. Roading castable type dogs seem to work for most east Texas terrain and it is what I've been seeing lately.  It's cool to see the dogs line out a trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: