April 18, 2024, 09:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cattle dogs  (Read 3053 times)
Cash sills
Bay Dog

Hog dogging isn't a hobby it's a passion

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:40 am »

Does anyone train or deal with cattle dogs on her if so could I get some tips on training just got a new bmc and blue lacy pup and decided I try to gamble and make him a cattle dog.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »

If they are bred right, about all you have to do is teach them come here, load up and get out. If they are too tight and fighting cattle, you have to back them up. If you have no experience, you can put a ten foot hard slick nylon lead rope on them while they are working and let the cattle teach them to back up. Get out or a command for stop what you are doing right now is a must for any dog in my opinion. When working cattle, being able to call them off is a must.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Cash sills
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:03 pm »

Is there anything about teaching them commands or equipment to use because I’m totally new to the cattle dog scene
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:03:07 pm »

Go talk to Gary he did it for 50 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 05:52:05 am »

Is there anything about teaching them commands or equipment to use because I’m totally new to the cattle dog scene

Without spending an hour typing I’ll make it short as I can, read up and look up as much as you can about obedience training, mainly tone training with a shock collar, a dog is a dog it doesn’t matter the breed or creed and what it’s used for and a handle on a dog is must for me, maybe not others but I like to have control over mine when their not in the box or leash, like bigo said, if it’s in them all you really have to do is put a good handle on them, feed them, and haul them to work, there’s a lot more folks out there that have a lot more experience than me but with the history behind a lot of today’s stock bred dogs a man doesn’t need to or should not have to put a lot of time into “training” a dog to work cattle, if the dogs don’t have the desire to do it naturally I would  get rid of them and move on to something that does because there’s plenty out there that take right to it like a baby duck does to water...
Cash sills
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:51:56 am »

Yes sir, thank u
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:38 am »

Just because a dog will run around and bark at cows doesn't mean they can be a usefull cow dog. If you could make it to Caney, Ks. Nov. 10 and 11 to the cow dog trials, you can see how the best cur dogs work and see some of the most knowledgeable men alive ,when it come to working livestock with dogs.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:56 am »

Bo Nutting lives 3 miles from your papa

bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »

Bo Nutting would be a good man to watch and learn from and Charlie Spurgeon, who lives in that area, would be another.

Mark Twain
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »

Ya he is over in ennis last I heard. Bunch of cowboys in this area most are old it’s a dying way of life. Lot of old guys around here that aren’t known by many but are just as knowledgeable. Bo is getting up there in age my friend swaps dogs with him. He was more know around here for saddle making. Dogs second.

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 09:17:38 am »

Does anyone train or deal with cattle dogs on her if so could I get some tips on training just got a new bmc and blue lacy pup and decided I try to gamble and make him a cattle dog.
All depends on what type of cattle you are looking to work Wink Gathering and moving pasture "pets" is completely different from dealing with "dick" cattle and actually cow hunting.  Hard to believe those cur dog trials could have the best dogs and most knowledgable men in the business without having any "Crackers" there Grin  Any Florida Boys ever show up out there.

Catchin hogs cracker style
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 09:59:49 pm »

I know it is tough to swallow that anyone in Texas or Oklahoma could ever find a hog or pen a cow without a "Cracker" or a Florida "total control" Curdog but it does happen once in a while.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:15:34 am »

Pile it on, I can take it Grin I would love to show up there one year just to watch any cur cow dogs work and meet some of you Cowmen, who have or still do use Head dogs to work. These damm Tennessee'uns don't know the first thing about cur dogs, except John, of course Grin  Unfortunately, I'm right in the middle of work during that time. Got one coming two years old now that is really doing well. Just got back from 8 weeks worth of work in West Texas. Used him several times to help gather and pen "rough pasture" cattle. He impreessed both myself and the Boss. Plenty of circle and "quarterbacks"(I believe that it what you Texan's call it Grin) well from the front when driving.

bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 10:51:41 am »

Quarterbacks, windmill, lead catch dog and all that other BS  was thought up by a P.T. Barnam type dog breeder.

Mark Twain
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 11:15:06 am »

10-4 on the "circus" terms Grin Met some boys from the Pitchfork that use gather and quarterback, so i figured i'd talk Texan Grin  Where I am from, they had better be able to find, bunch, ring, hold up, and attempt to catch, if necessary Wink

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 04:25:02 pm »

i saw a guy from fla work a pair of dogs at 1 of the ks trials , his dogs worked good but when he went to drive cattle he called them behind his horse . this cost him points . my grandaddy was from fla and they used curdogs on cattle and hogs . it was all free range until the 50's . he moved to tn after ww2 .the dogs he had as a kid were rough enough to stop stock but loose enough to let them stay bayed the same as the line i've got out of ok by way of tx . they would bay hogs and pull pigs up in the saddle with a noose on a pole to do their cuttin and markin .  they drove cattle and hogs back home with the dogs leading out front when it was time to sell the offspring . the same as some still do in tx and ok . ( and tn ) Wink

heres the secret, they were about the same kind of people AND the same kind of dogs .

my granddaddy had 7 uncles that moved from fla  to tx after the civil war , they brought their dogs with them .

good dogs are where you find them . if they aint bred for it you can't train it into them .
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 07:52:56 am »

Us Florida boys ain't big on points Grin It ain't very often that we have to leave a dog up front to lead out. Once they've been held up and settled a few times, "most" cattle know what to expect if they try and leave out Wink   Got to be bred to want to stop cattle, no doubt about that.  It can't be trained into them.    I've heard TWRA say that LBL, and all the country around it, is full of hogs. Bringing in trappers even.

jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 01:09:47 pm »

yep, there was a russian type boar killed not 10 miles from my house the other day . i wouldnt dought twra ain't turning them loose .
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »

yep, there was a russian type boar killed not 10 miles from my house the other day . i wouldnt dought twra ain't turning them loose .

I know for a fact they used to, whether it was officially done by the state or not I’m not sure but we used to have a state senator here that was said to be the most powerful man in the state and he was as die hard a hog hunter as anybody who lived, when my pawpaw was a young man he took care of all of “60” Rayburn’s dogs and was directed by him to round up a bunch of swamp hogs, some game wardens from Tennessee drove down and picked up a trailer load and paw paw hauled several trailer loads of black swamp hogs as they were called at the time, up to Tennessee, this would have been in the 50’s, Senator 60 was also responsible for coyotes in our country, years ago when the original virgin timber had been harvested there’s wasn’t any game left, when the timber companies bought the land and replanted it in pines, deer were just about unheard of and red fox were prized possessions and the fox hunters had just about caught and killed them out, so he had a game warden from North La, whose name I’ll withhold who was a hog and fox hunter to send a trailer load of coyotes down here so the fox hunters would have something new to hunt...
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 07:40:38 pm »

yessir goose , i can beleive it . we have hogs showing up , bears where there they ain't been none in 200 years, panthers and what not .

when i was a kid we didn't have many deer and no turkeys . i don't farm but they are so thick now they cost my daddy alot every year from the crops they eat .

i enjoy huntig hogs but i'd rather not have to hunt them on my pasture , that would be more like work than fun .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: