April 23, 2024, 12:04:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ended up with a dog I never thought I'd have  (Read 2614 times)
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »

Bought a boy out my brother hunts with now and then got a 16' trailer load of stuff and a half AM bull half dogo and a full Dogo a little over a year I didn't plan on getting them but ended up with them anyway my brother swears the cross one catches hard she's not as big as the male but dang that male is a monster to be just over a year I don't know where he's gonna ride if I hunt him anyone use them and like them I got 2 pits I been using 45lb and that's the size I like can only imagine this thing should rip one apart.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:07:36 pm »

Don't be surprised when them 45lb pits make that giant look like a fool lol.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:13:37 pm »

Hey them little suckers may get drug a little but they like Don Gay on a rank bull once they on ain't no slinging them off haha. I don't know what I will end up doing with the male right now he's a big baby gonna use the female if she does like my brother says she's about 75 lb but more stocky than tall.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 03:54:16 am »

I had a couple full dogos a while ago. They did the job. But the size was the biggest downfall. They ended up being better guard dogs.

I got a some 1/2 dogo and 1/2 pit out of east Texas. That cross seems to be the sweet spot in size and temperment!
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:11:41 am »

I had a couple full dogos a while ago. They did the job. But the size was the biggest downfall. They ended up being better guard dogs.

I got a some 1/2 dogo and 1/2 pit out of east Texas. That cross seems to be the sweet spot in size and temperment!

I think the gyp will be fine shes a little on the big side her being bull dog cross shes real stocky the male is legs and head we hunt pine thicketts & black berry patches up in Arkansas all my dogs are on the small side to get in and out of them easily most of my dogs probably are in the 35-40 pound range . I was thinking he be a good yard dog my wife rides her bike alot and I told her start taking him along we live way out in the country so getting hit by a cars not an issue.
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:42:55 pm »

A bad thicket in Arkansas??? Lol. We are using some pit/dogo cross that are really working out good, a little more leg, and speed, good temperment!
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:40:37 pm »

Hoghunterx2
You know lol how big are your crosses ? Was looking to see when the RB roundup would be haven't seen anything on it if them boys hunting that island off the red river not a lot of sense in trying may waste my money again this year if I'm in town for it though was a lot of fun trying.
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 07:35:21 pm »

55/70 lbs , as usual the gyps are a little smaller .
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:19 pm »

ive had dogos and scott bred abs as hard as any pit and more athletic, cleaner holders, wont drown or stroke out wich makes them better than any pit for over a decade now. You straight pit guys need to wakee up to the fact for every good one there is a bad one, like all breeds
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:46:48 am »

ive had dogos and scott bred abs as hard as any pit and more athletic, cleaner holders, wont drown or stroke out wich makes them better than any pit for over a decade now. You straight pit guys need to wakee up to the fact for every good one there is a bad one, like all breeds

Guess the same can be said about them AB's and Nogos, lol...
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:12:36 am »

My personal experience with Dogos has been very poor and I've been around quite a few enough for me to know I'd never feed one.My Buddy and his couple friends throughout the state breed raise and use them on hogs.I have seen way more bad than good.If they decide they even like a hog by 18months I have never seen one that was straight ear and truly hard mouthed like a well bred pit.I've seen them bay before attempting to catch and chew a hog like a corn cobb and although they're big and look athletic they're no where near as fast or nimble as a well built pit.I'm not talking about a straight line race I'm talking about through the thick and in a fight to get an ear.I'm sure yours are the best and as long as you like them that's all that matters but my personal experience with the breed has not been good and I'm not basing this off of one dog.

Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:41:35 am »

My personal experience with Dogos has been very poor and I've been around quite a few enough for me to know I'd never feed one.My Buddy and his couple friends throughout the state breed raise and use them on hogs.I have seen way more bad than good.If they decide they even like a hog by 18months I have never seen one that was straight ear and truly hard mouthed like a well bred pit.I've seen them bay before attempting to catch and chew a hog like a corn cobb and although they're big and look athletic they're no where near as fast or nimble as a well built pit.I'm not talking about a straight line race I'm talking about through the thick and in a fight to get an ear.I'm sure yours are the best and as long as you like them that's all that matters but my personal experience with the breed has not been good and I'm not basing this off of one dog.

I am new to the Hog world as a whole. I did research and watched hours and hours of videos and read until my eyes had blood coming out about the dogo. I also spoke with folks across the pond. My take aways were that almost every dogo would keep take another hold if it was on the ear. Full Disclousre this is a self admitted internet hunter!

I have been around pitbulls for over 30 years but only gamebred ones. My biggest question is this.... How do you get them to not dog fight?
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:10:10 am »

I am new to the Hog world as a whole. I did research and watched hours and hours of videos and read until my eyes had blood coming out about the dogo. I also spoke with folks across the pond. My take aways were that almost every dogo would keep take another hold if it was on the ear. Full Disclousre this is a self admitted internet hunter!

I have been around pitbulls for over 30 years but only gamebred ones. My biggest question is this.... How do you get them to not dog fight?
Nip it in the bud before it ever becomes a problem and always handle them like you would a loaded gun, don't put them in situations where instinct will take over, such as putting them in a box full of other dogs...
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 10:11:24 am »

How do you get them to not dog fight?

You don't! Wink
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:09 am »

You breed away from that you breed catchdogs not box dogs.My bulldogs will not fight I've had them jumped on by many a cur dog can box them with whatever breed for stability and catching ability.Use a proven line of catchdogs....

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 12:00:50 pm »

Through the years I have had some AB's, some Pits, and now have 2 Dogo's. To live here they have to stay with me without being on a leash, not be dog or man aggressive and catch solid even if taking a cutting. There are some good"uns and bad"uns in all those breeds. The male Dogo I have at this time is- for what I like -an excellent catchdog, 75 lbs, very manageable, not aggressive towards anything but a hog and a rock solid catchdog. Pile as many dogs in the box with him as you want it is not a problem. Generally lopes up to a bay slows down and looks may even go around to pick a shot and catches hard. Miles don't mean anything to him the other day we rode the mules 18-20 miles and he was still catching hard at the end of the day. Have caught a few hogs with him that weren't bayed we saw crossing somewhere, he does not run straight to the hog but takes an angle to intersect the hog and catches. I do like the Dogo's that I have been affiliated with,  but don't begrudge a "good" catchdog of any breed. I have had an AB  and some Pits that fit my criteria as well. I do prefer the 65-85 pound dogs for various reasons since normally we just use one catchdog and often due to splits there may be just one bay dog there. On occasion I have had small dogs that were quick and caught hard but a big rank hog be wearing him like an earring and still fighting dogs and trying to leave where with the little taller heavier dog that doesn't happen. I have only been around a few Dogo's and they were of one strain, the PPC dogs.
I have not used the female as much but enough to see for sure that she catches hard and will take a thumping and stay caught. So far the only thing I don't like about the Dogo's I have seen is the fact that they are all white, sure wish they had more color as white is a weakness in mammals.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:25 pm »

All the things I hear that the dogo is better at then a pit I have not seen. I been told there faster haven’t seen that I heard they hit hard and won’t let go I seen the opposite. I have seen a decent one that being the only one. All the ones I seen and crosses re grip. This has to come from being a pack animal. I think the crosses are even worse cuz they just water down a pit. This is just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:17 pm »

My main concern about the one I have is hes a little over a year old and already and as big as two of my pits I use currently so I can carry two of them or him my thinking as of now is I would rather tote a spare. I told my wife I may make him a yard dog if he wont kill the goats of chickens hes a fine looking animal and very intimidating looking but if I start him on hogs he will have to go on a chain i dont know yet im gonna fool with him when I get home see where it goes. I have had small pits all my life they are amazing my older one 8yrs old now has stayed caught in the summer heat well over an hour on a few occasions and has ran with the dogs on a busted bay for hours and still caught he could barely walk afterwards but I cant see improving on that much I have been happy with what I have I got these on a package deal kind of had to take them and never would have gotten one otherwise I could see these dogs catching faster maybe out in the open maybe I dont know kind of want to try him just to experiment dont know his breeding may be junk may be the number 2 wont know if I dont try him hes got all the tools to do the job from what I see.
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:49 pm »

I would give him a chance, nothing to lose.  He may be bigger than what you are use to hauling, but if hes catches  good, then a big hog can try to shake him all he wants to. Run two at a time ... caught hog
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 09:53:39 am »

You got any pics of this big young dog, I would like to see what he looks like if you do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: