March 29, 2024, 01:24:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCD types and breeds yall are using  (Read 8743 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:39 pm »

I've read many comments pertaining to RCDs and packs of alligators.    Just curious as to what breeds or crosses or types you individuals are using as RCDs and why.     What is a pack of alligators, I assume just curs that catch as a pack.     
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:26 am »

We have a few different dogs we run. My favorite two on my yard are littermates, a brother and a sister. They’re Dad is a cold nosed long range Ladner BMC, the Mom is a well bred RCD pit that comes from old blood, I think Wooten. There have been 3 litters from the same parents and almost every dog turns out and they’re all about the same. They’re silent, and are straight catch. Both of mine will catch anything, even if they’re alone. They’re suicidal dogs. I’m also running a puppy off of the female, she’s 1/4 black mouth and 3/4 pit. I think she’ll be a short to medium range dog. She’s already suicidal and straight catch at around 12 months old. I run a pit that doesn’t really hunt, he just honors them and runs with the pack.

I hunt with my buddy Timmy a lot and he runs an airepit that is silent, straight catch, even by herself. And he runs two pits that are the same way. They will both hunt. Most of our dogs will go over a mile on a track, even the pits. Almost all the pits we have will find their own pigs. He has a few other mixed up breeds that are about the same.

I don’t think this type of dog would work for your style of hunting Black Streak, they’re better for a pack style hunting. But I think some people interpret a pack of alligators as just rough dogs, that’s not the case in my personal opinion. None of these dogs need another dog for them to catch. They will all catch a big boar even by themselves. Typically though they stay packed together. We mainly hunt for farmers that want the pigs destroyed. So the goal is to shut them down quickly and violently. 9 times out of 10 when we get to a caught pig it’s buckled and down on its stomach, we don’t have to grab the legs or anything to stick it. Smaller pigs are often completely destroyed by the time we get there. Especially if they’re caught over a mile away.

The 1/2 BMC 1/2 pits that I have are great dogs. They’re silent, stay busy hunting, and are quick on track. They’re shorter range dogs. If they’re over 350yds they’re running a track. These two dogs are what my yard will eventually be based on. I want to find an easy Texas Black mouth that hunts similarly to throw to one of them and then I’ll start line breeding them. That will bring in a little more size as well. They’re not real big dogs at around 40-45lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:55:40 am »

I figured most people were using some sort of bay breed or bird dog mixed with a catch breed such as pit or dogo.  Maybe even having a percentage of grey hound or stag in there.    My stuff is pretty different than that.   
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:14:30 am »

Just cur dog no pit or dogo

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:39 pm »

Is the intended purpose of the these bay breeds turned catch dogs and the bay catch crosses to find and catch their own pig or catch as a pack?     
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »

We run ours as a pack, but we do sometimes have multiple pigs caught at one time. My Dum Dum dog will slip off and catch his own and sometimes the other dogs will catch another one on the way to him. I like them to stay together though. I notice that we do better when they stay packed tight, and then you spend less time trying to get dogs back together. We also don’t get dogs hurt very often because that many dogs tearing at the pig will basically shut the pig down and not let it move enough to do much damage. It’s not uncommon for us to get there and find the face ripped off the pig.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:18:18 pm »

I also run shorter range dogs so we can normally get to them pretty quick, making it safer for the dogs. Our dogs normally don’t go past 200-300 yards unless they hit a track. We do have strike dogs that are strictly bay dogs also that we run sometimes. If we aren’t running silent we will run one or two longer ranged strike dogs that are open, and all the other dogs will stick with them. Even our pits will stick with them for a mile or two

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:03:54 pm »

I strongly suspected that was the general  style with the type dogs y'all use.     We share a few things in common but most is different to varying degrees.       Probly do to both me being so different and my dogs being so different.          My ways go hand in hand my dogs.   They are a product of me rather than I of them.         
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 07:30:53 pm »

I’ve read a lot of your posts about your style of hunting blackstreak, very interesting. There’s nobody in my area that hunts that way you do. It must be challenging to find/make dogs that fit that criteria. I know our dogs wouldn’t do good at that type of work, but they also don’t have all the work and breeding behind them that specializes in that type of hunting either.

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »

I’ve read a lot of your posts about your style of hunting blackstreak, very interesting. There’s nobody in my area that hunts that way you do. It must be challenging to find/make dogs that fit that criteria. I know our dogs wouldn’t do good at that type of work, but they also don’t have all the work and breeding behind them that specializes in that type of hunting either.

I used to hunt with rifle then a bow.     I would take a bow and ease around and walk for hours where I suspected pigs would be laid up.    I was very skillful and very successful.   The Lord blessed me with talents of being an a hunter and fisherman that not many aspire to.   That's best way to describe it.      After a while He placed in my mind the idea and desire to catch these pigs I was stalking up on with a certain type dog rather than kill the pig with a bow.       The Lord enabled me to analyze things in a unique way and see and understand things.   He showed me and enabled me to understand why this style and type dog would be so effective and how to hunt them.       It made sense to me before I even had the dogs.    I keep tweaking this or that about the dogs still.    I have been very blessed in obtaining the stock in which these dogs have derived from.      Had to be devine intervention as to how I come by so many of the key dogs that I have obtained.          People throw big big money at me to try to get this dog or that dog.  I don't have much money at all invested in these dogs.   Never paid much for a dog if I paid anything for one.     They catch their own food and their dog food freezer stays full.  It has never been empty.  I have made 1 trip to the vet to get a dog stiched up and another trip to get a thorn removed from ones eye.    That's the total number of times I've had to pay a vet a visit, just 2 over the many years.      My understanding of hunting is unique, my dogs are unique, they cost me nothing but actually pay for themselves and provide me with much enjoyment, love, food, and companionship.         I know where all this came from.  I've always known where it was coming from.    For me this has been so easy and easy to understand yet almost seemingly impossible for others.    It is God's talents he has blessed me with.  Do to the difficulties others have with understanding what I see as simple and easy, I understand just how unique and amazing this blessing I have been given is.    It has been a lonely road but, if anyone was suited for that solitude it was I.     Just me, my dogs, and God and His guidence and grace coupled with my effort.             That is how the black sheep known as black streak came by the dogs and style that are as unique as he is.    It's all owed to God and by His grace. 

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 09:40:10 am »

There has been one out dogs bred for hundreds of years Cur dogs your not the only one Dean.Your total dismissal and lack of respect for any one who chooses to own and run a different style of dog than you is why your a loner.The terrain, endless land coupled with a good understanding of dogs and shear number of hogs is why your so successful.By no means am I dismissing you as I know you're very intelligent and your dogs are extremely suited for the country and work you provide them but that does not mean that they are the best suited dog for other areas or other people.The thick unavageable terrain coupled with far fewer hogs that say I hunt would not be as suited for the type of dog you feed as the type I feed.Many of the Cur dogs of old in this area will trail and bay but catch when the handler arrives they do this from many years of breeding for because it worked for the people making the dogs to work in the country they were intended to work just as yours.Truly one out dogs but totally different than yours.You're not the first.You obviously have placed yourself on a pedestal for some reason over the years and it only has gotten worse with the continued success and traction your gaining with your program and dogs.I really used to enjoy talking with you and once again I respect you and your dogs I believe in your success in your area but this does not mean it's the only way or the best way by any means.I'm sure you could catch hogs in my area with your dogs as well ,more than the locals with stock that was bred to be successful here for hundreds of years ?I highly doubt it.Could we come there and catch hogs in your area?Im sure we could, would your specialized dogs for the work and terrain out perform them in their day in day out job most definitely.I'm sure you're a great hunter and fisherman as many are but it's very offensive the way you act as if we're all fools because we don't a mass to follow your teachings by lining up our old stock and culling the lot to own your new era next best thing.

This thread was started as poke on your part.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 10:50:10 am »

There has been one out dogs bred for hundreds of years Cur dogs your not the only one Dean.Your total dismissal and lack of respect for any one who chooses to own and run a different style of dog than you is why your a loner.The terrain, endless land coupled with a good understanding of dogs and shear number of hogs is why your so successful.By no means am I dismissing you as I know you're very intelligent and your dogs are extremely suited for the country and work you provide them but that does not mean that they are the best suited dog for other areas or other people.The thick unavageable terrain coupled with far fewer hogs that say I hunt would not be as suited for the type of dog you feed as the type I feed.Many of the Cur dogs of old in this area will trail and bay but catch when the handler arrives they do this from many years of breeding for because it worked for the people making the dogs to work in the country they were intended to work just as yours.Truly one out dogs but totally different than yours.You're not the first.You obviously have placed yourself on a pedestal for some reason over the years and it only has gotten worse with the continued success and traction your gaining with your program and dogs.I really used to enjoy talking with you and once again I respect you and your dogs I believe in your success in your area but this does not mean it's the only way or the best way by any means.I'm sure you could catch hogs in my area with your dogs as well ,more than the locals with stock that was bred to be successful here for hundreds of years ?I highly doubt it.Could we come there and catch hogs in your area?Im sure we could, would your specialized dogs for the work and terrain out perform them in their day in day out job most definitely.I'm sure you're a great hunter and fisherman as many are but it's very offensive the way you act as if we're all fools because we don't a mass to follow your teachings by lining up our old stock and culling the lot to own your new era next best thing.

Oh my!      You have it bad
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »

There has always been catching curs some do some don’t most aren’t mixed with any catch breed there just bred to be rough or some just pop up as in any breed. Some use them in packs and some use them in single or pairs. I use mine as a cd or loose to catch as they want. Ever since man has had control over dogs they have been used to catch prey. I don’t see the big deal

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 08:13:47 am »

Where in this thread has the offense been taken about cur dogs?      This is very intriguing to me.    Where in the thread does it say a cur doesn't catch?     I'm sure if the place of offense is pointed out, I can address better the context of the comment.                   
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 08:22:04 am »

Never seen anyone try and act more "Australian" than this Black Sheep guy. laugh I have nothing against The Ausies. I respect their "one out" style, but we have been using cow bred cur dogs to find, stop, and hold their own hogs for at least 150 years here in South/Central Florida. Wink

Catchin hogs cracker style
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 01:54:05 pm »

Why does it bother yall and get under your skin that I do things differently?       Seems to be a long verbal history of bay breeds  being used to catch their own pigs.     I never said there wasn't but I have never read such things pertaining to the bay breed having been created to catch their own.     It's common to read where they are used in the capturing of boar but not like the claims y'all are starting to make about using them as 1 out dogs to catch pigs with.         
    Since this thread has become something of yall making claims your curs are 1 out dogs then why not show pictures of these curs holding big boar under 1 out fair chase conditions.if it's so common and been done for hundreds of years with bay breeds then surely there must be tons of pictures to substantiate these claims.         
        I mean I can provide several years worth of personal pictures of many different dogs holding their own good pigs under fair chase conditions

Intuition tells me that you guys getting offended at me just for sharing my style dogs and me giving credit where credit is do, to God for my success and great fortune with these dogs, can not provide the pictures and proof that I so easily can and have been collecting for several years.             

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »

I am sure you have great dogs and infact I'm happy for you I was just saying that you're not the only one and your dogs aren't the only way.Your way of thinking is not new, only new to you because you just started using these dogs a few years ago.I personally don't choose to use my extremely catchy dogs except in certain situations any more.Mainly site hunting which I do very little of and I suspect the majority of your hunting is.I found that nose trailing/winding ability and stock sense is far more valuable to me.Not to mention taking my time.I have asked you in the past how good the noses were on your dogs because I was considering one and you would never answer but its fairly obvious what kind of noses they posses because the breeds being used to make them.I see your pictures they're in the wide open on hogs that you obviously saw and sent your dogs to or they winded in totally wide open hog infested country.When I catch a hog 99% time I can't see the hog until I'm right on top of him and the dogs in the palmettos,gulberries,pepperberries,briars,cutovers,switchgrass,stickmarsh etc.etc. Your terrain is very similar to the Australians and that's why you choose to mimmick them and I get it but it doesn't have a single thing to do with my country or anyone else's on here.I know of many people in Ga that use similar dogs to yours bull/lurcher,Stag/wolf/bull, Danes and Dane crosses but they use them for site work in crops when they need to trail a hog to its bed they use a different dog for the job.If watching a dog catch a pig is all you want to do and you have the open hog infested country to hunt then this type of dog may be fine but it's really nice watching a fine piece of trailing happen on the Garmin when your after a few hogs on a lot of thick country.We all know that you love to argue your dogs play the blacksheep and that this thread was created with the loaded question so you could tell us how much better your dogs are than everyone else's and in certain situations I'm sure they are just as in other situations they'd be made to look foolish by dogs created for the intended use.If you read any history on Fl Crackers and our Cracker Curs there's plenty of writtings on them being used to catch boars and wild cows by themselves.They're just intelligent enough to not commit suicide and wait on their handler to get there before catching out but I promise the rough ones if sent to hogs in the wide open catch and hold as good as any the difference is they also posses extremely good noses.I was sending you pictures of hogs we were sending single dogs to and catching several years ago and you know it.So don't act like this is all new. If you have endless land and endless hogs than pictures of dogs holding hogs is easy hell catching hogs when they're thick as thieves is easy but it's no where near as satisfying as catching one really hard hog and watching some quality dog work.So I guess I took the bait hook line and sinker on your loaded question so there ya go.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 05:17:56 pm »

I suspect you probably use thermal or night vision and play the wind as well hell people in ga been doing that for years and years you can get 10yds from hogs like that easy.Even if your not it's not hard catching hogs you see especially if you play wind and plan a decent stalk.

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:05 pm »

Cracker you speak of my dogs and the type that I use as though you have experience with them.   I know you don't because of how you describe them.   To you its a theory and assumption.       You have a theory about these dogs and you try to twist everything into it and what can't be twisted to fit you disregard.      As I've stated i use these dogs in many ways.    Pictures I've posted recently prove it.     Yes i hunt the open stuff but I hunt all types of stuff including brush, woods, swamps, water, it matters not.     I go where the pigs are.  I'm able to be so diverse because the dogs enable it.       Their is nothing magical about an environment that prohibits such dogs from being able to hunt it and do well in it.     Your just being irrational.          
      I've not put you or your dogs down, I have made no stabs at anyone or their dogs.      I created this thread so that all of us as RCD guys can talk about our dogs and share how we use them.    Where was the harm in that?    I do not wish to divide people.     There is already enough misinformation about RCDs and as illustrated by you a ton of misinformation about the type and style that I use.       Why is it so offensive to some that I speak of these dogs.      Do you think i fabricate things? Do you see me in here trying to sale dogs or am I just showing and sharing?     I'm not peddling or even advocating people get these dogs, yet you seem to have implied that earlier in order lend credit to your narrative.              
       There are many things I can do to show more about these dogs.     I can take pictures of the garmin screen showing them 800 yards or 1 a mile but that's not me. I can if you'd like though.       Fact is I want efficiency and diversity. This efficiency in my dog type prevents easy catches from become something more.   It prevents a 200 yard find from becoming an 800 yard catch.  It prevents a pig found here from running over there.  
     I send 2 dogs to a group in a feild.   2 pigs caught right there in the feild.   Then one or two more caught deep in the brush because the same two dogs roled out and went into the woods across big deep creeks and caught more in the brush where the pigs run to.   Often times they role out again and catch another but I'm wet because I've swam a creek or exhausted because I've run so much.        To me that's a job well done by my dogs.  If I don't make my dogs stay at the catch and then clip them on a lead and walk them back they role out.     All you want to see and add to your theory about my dogs is just the crop work.              I walk hunt them, I hunt behind them in a hoopie, I cast them, I sight hunt them, etc etc.   Why limit myself to just one way.     I have this type dog for a reason, because they aren't limited to this or that.  
     Making claims as though they are factual about my dogs or my style despite never having hunted with me and my dogs is improper at a minimum.       I don't really care to say much more again on this.   I hope I have brought clarity to this narrative and debunked some of these ill fated theories.    
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:10 pm »

I ain't even read all this but I'll get into the mix and say this, ain't but one way to truly know something is what it's claimed to be unless you go see for your self, heck  boys go put the dogs down and see what you got somewhere else, it's as easy as that, won't have to convince some body something by word if you can go show for yourself, as long as it's done and kept respectable...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: