April 18, 2024, 01:36:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know you have a good catch dog?  (Read 1445 times)
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 07:18:43 pm »

Had to many apple juices after work haha but chief was just a pit mix. I got a dogo and a small gyp that are better but the dogo is old and the gyp screams going to a bay
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 08:58:55 pm »

Screaming, whining, leash chewing, won’t listen, grouchy, fighting dogs are not going to eat much feed at my house. I can’t think of anything worse in any type of dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 09:59:50 pm »

Oh trust me I’ve tried to fix it but all I did was dull it  She carries some charactistics of a dog that was abused sometime as well. Been putting work into my dogo pup trying to teach him to load and be cool on a leash. I think he’s about a year and two months. My cousin has a pretty good one I think he got from the pound that listens as good as most people kids.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 07:40:23 am »

I had a catch dog once that didn’t catch all that great. She wasn’t real accurate and took a lot of cutting but she was so easy to get along with that I could forgive it easier. I had a couple others that caught well but were so aggravating if they didn’t have an ear in their mouth that they didn’t stay long.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 09:17:02 am »

Here the other day when we caught the little 150 lb boar I watched something a little different with Ol'Grip "my Dogo" that hog was in some blackberries and sprouts, and while I was stomping and wallowing around trying to get to where I could get hold of the hog I noticed Grip had a sprout about big as your thumb and a couple of blackberry vines almost that big in his mouth along with the hogs ear, it looked like he was bridled, the closer I got the more the hog tried to get away and he did, for just a split second, as the hog turned to run Grip grabbed the place nearest him which was right above the elbow on the front leg, he pulled back and swapped to the ear without any trash in his mouth this time and it was over. The only other time he's not been on the ear was when he was running a loose sow down by himself that came by us in some fairly open timber and everytime he'd start up beside her to where he could reach the ear she'd turn after about 3 tries he grabbed a hind leg and literally jerked her down and then swapped to the ear.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2022, 10:53:25 am »

Old man that is exactly what I mean when I talk about a catch dog being able to think on their feet. People say they don’t want a dog that will grab anything but the ear, they will fill them for it. My old family of bull dogs were ear minded and when you got to a caught hog they were on the ear. But, I have  sent them to open field hogs and they would ham them until the hog squared to turn and then they would move to the ear. My AB that I use now is ear minded. He won’t catch anything but ear. Just like you said, he will run to the head and the hogs will hit the breaks causing a fly by or make a hard turn and he has to catch up again. He has to run them a lot further than he would if he would stop them and then move to the ear. It’s one of the things I would change about him.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 10:54:40 am »

That was supposed to say “cull them for it”.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2022, 11:51:35 am »

Some folks probably wouldn't like those two instances above but I considered them a plus under the circumstance, since him being caught out of place is not an issue.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2022, 12:06:36 pm »

I think it’s a sign of brains and class!

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 12:15:10 pm »

I am with y'all on that. Years ago I had a Pit that was straight ear. One day we saw 3 boars crossing a burned area in the marsh and I turned Billy loose on them. It was a foot race and he was pulling up alongside of the boar to grab a ear when they hit the thicket. If he would have grabbed the HQ and spun the hog he would have caught it but trying to get to the ear the boar made it. We still caught him but it was 2 hours later after we put a couple of Plotts on him.
  Another instance turned Billy loose on a big boar that had no ears and he really had a hard time holding him. Got shook off a couple of times before he finally got hold of the side of the head. In a perfect world I wish I had a bulldog that could adapt a little faster to certain situations.
  Other then those two instances Billy was as good as they got for a catchdog.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2022, 12:19:56 pm »

I’m gonna tell one of many stories about my Vegas dog. I had witnesses (plural). We got into some hogs and after catching a couple the dogs stopped a sow about 170 pounds. She was standing against a big post oak tree that had blown over and was dead and leafless.  The trunk was about 2’ or better in diameter and there was about 12-14” of space between the bottle of the trunk and the ground.  We stood there a bit and watched them bay and once she realized we were there she started watching us. I finally told the guys that I was gonna send  Vegas. When he got about 20’ from her, she turned her butt to him and stuck her head under the trunk. He never broke stride and jumped straight over her and onto the tree trunk. As soon as he landed he turned around and faced us, but stayed up there. In just a second, she pulled her head out and turned back towards us like she was when we were just watching. He then dove off the tree trunk and eared her on the way down. It will probably always be one of the smartest, neatest things I’ve ever seen a dog do. 99% of dogs would’ve either grabbed somewhere else or tried to dig her head out, or even went to the other side. That is brains and thinking on his feet. He wasn’t so wound up that he couldn’t think or adapt.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2022, 08:26:28 pm »

I seen this old gyp here one time several years ago hog was bayed across ditch we was watching em bay we sent catch dogs they had to swim ditch hog broke before they hit bank Maggie hit bank run him down caught him in butt set him down other catch dog caught ear Maggie turned loose went to the ear

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2022, 09:33:40 pm »

My buddy had one that smoked weed he would just stay at the truck and eat snacks

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 12:40:45 am »

My old dogo does the same thing . He will stop them the catch them. Hopefully his son does the same
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2022, 11:00:47 pm »

Jumping other dogs ,not been in able to box with other dogs. Either of those,they gone. Other than that idk cause I didn't use one just yet. Interesting responses.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: