March 28, 2024, 07:16:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age old Question?  (Read 1986 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:38 am »

Stocksense is a lost trait in 90% of “hogdog” stock these days. We’re still baying rally’s in country that has been hog hunted with dogs consistently for over 40 years. The trick is it’s been the same few ranchers, with the same family of stock bred curs, that had cow dogs and hog dogs, that have always been the same set of dogs, that’s had rights to this couple sections of land right here along the yegua. These hogs have been as hunted as any have, and yes some run and the ones that do are usually big boar hogs and they run for a few areas and if the dogs do like they are supposed to they will see him through. Yes we get out run more than I wish because fact of the matter is no these dogs aren’t what they used to be. I have adopted the mindset of the men who have brought me around, and that is I would rather kill one and my dogs work right, than kill 10 and my dogs work like crap. I picked my 2 up Saturday morning cause they bayed a group and didn’t bay worth a lick. Killed 2 and left because We weren’t accomplishing anything except teaching good hogs how to walk off from a sorry bay. I like dogs that know How to get bayed. Those kind of dogs will work anywhere. You can keep your dogs with 30 miles of bottom, or the ones that catch on sight, we will keep the ones that know how to get bayed and have enough brain to respect the stock because that is what has worked since the free range days, and the hogs today are hogs all the same as they were hogs back then. I believe 99% of hogs today still want to bay. It might be in their bed, or 2 miles away where they originate from. Dogs that know How to get bayed will tell you more often than not. As the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim I agree with 99% of your post, while I cannot speak for your area, I can dang sure speak for mine, and NO these hogs are not the same type of hog that used to roam these hills, my situation is very similar to yours being as this one particular area has been hog hunted by the same folks and familys for years, and using the same family of dogs with little change, the old men who farmed this land and hog hunted got tired of easy baying hogs and imported pure Russian hogs up until the mid to late 90s to breed the sows they caught and would turn them back  out, talk to any of them today and they will tell you quick like the hogs roaming out there today are much much different than the what they used to hunt, once the Russian influence started taking hold and they got their harder races like they wanted most of them had gotten to old to hunt and would tag along with us from time to time, and would swear we were running a deer  until a bay up, there is no way your going to walk into a bay and shoot a hog here, one the terrain is entirely to thick, 2nd the hogs won't stand for it, if you think other wise my address is 62524 Bill Ard rd Angie La 70426, load up the best you got or can borrow or any uncle you got and come prove me wrong, I'm not being a smart as$, just being real and if you think you can c'mon, we still bay sounders and groups but nowhere near what we used to and have dogs that are good, I won't just talk about them online I'll show in person, used to hogs were only found around the creeks and swamps around the farm land, which isn't anything compared to some areas, and down along the river, the hogs just couldn't and wouldn't survive in the pine thickets and cut overs, now they're everywhere and all over the pine land and that's because the Russian influenced hogs are a much hardier and adaptable creature than the old feral blooded hogs, heck that invitation ain't just for slim, it's open to anybody...
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 08:47:35 am »

Stocksense is a lost trait in 90% of “hogdog” stock these days. We’re still baying rally’s in country that has been hog hunted with dogs consistently for over 40 years. The trick is it’s been the same few ranchers, with the same family of stock bred curs, that had cow dogs and hog dogs, that have always been the same set of dogs, that’s had rights to this couple sections of land right here along the yegua. These hogs have been as hunted as any have, and yes some run and the ones that do are usually big boar hogs and they run for a few areas and if the dogs do like they are supposed to they will see him through. Yes we get out run more than I wish because fact of the matter is no these dogs aren’t what they used to be. I have adopted the mindset of the men who have brought me around, and that is I would rather kill one and my dogs work right, than kill 10 and my dogs work like crap. I picked my 2 up Saturday morning cause they bayed a group and didn’t bay worth a lick. Killed 2 and left because We weren’t accomplishing anything except teaching good hogs how to walk off from a sorry bay. I like dogs that know How to get bayed. Those kind of dogs will work anywhere. You can keep your dogs with 30 miles of bottom, or the ones that catch on sight, we will keep the ones that know how to get bayed and have enough brain to respect the stock because that is what has worked since the free range days, and the hogs today are hogs all the same as they were hogs back then. I believe 99% of hogs today still want to bay. It might be in their bed, or 2 miles away where they originate from. Dogs that know How to get bayed will tell you more often than not. As the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Slim I agree with 99% of your post, while I cannot speak for your area, I can dang sure speak for mine, and NO these hogs are not the same type of hog that used to roam these hills, my situation is very similar to yours being as this one particular area has been hog hunted by the same folks and familys for years, and using the same family of dogs with little change, the old men who farmed this land and hog hunted got tired of easy baying hogs and imported pure Russian hogs up until the mid to late 90s to breed the sows they caught and would turn them back  out, talk to any of them today and they will tell you quick like the hogs roaming out there today are much much different than the what they used to hunt, once the Russian influence started taking hold and they got their harder races like they wanted most of them had gotten to old to hunt and would tag along with us from time to time, and would swear we were running a deer  until a bay up, there is no way your going to walk into a bay and shoot a hog here, one the terrain is entirely to thick, 2nd the hogs won't stand for it, if you think other wise my address is 62524 Bill Ard rd Angie La 70426, load up the best you got or can borrow or any uncle you got and come prove me wrong, I'm not being a smart as$, just being real and if you think you can c'mon, we still bay sounders and groups but nowhere near what we used to and have dogs that are good, I won't just talk about them online I'll show in person, used to hogs were only found around the creeks and swamps around the farm land, which isn't anything compared to some areas, and down along the river, the hogs just couldn't and wouldn't survive in the pine thickets and cut overs, now they're everywhere and all over the pine land and that's because the Russian influenced hogs are a much hardier and adaptable creature than the old feral blooded hogs, heck that invitation ain't just for slim, it's open to anybody...
Goose take me and mine out of that equation and I still believe it is the same truth. By no means to I think what we have going on is the best because I assure you, They are not. It is the style of dog though. They are much different than the majority of what’s being used by your “hog hunters”. All I’m getting at is if most people knew the difference in a dog that will bark at a hog and a dog that will bay right. And understood that just cause it can find hogs good don’t make it worth feeding. I doubt there would be as much of a “hogs run like hell these days” stigma.  Just seems like a lot of people say the hogs run bad when really, it might just be their dogs don’t run very good. Anyway, goose with as much as I’ve got going on right now. The hunting trip will have to hold off, but leave that offer on the table for a little while and I might have to come see about them ole swamp hogs. And if them guys really did bring them Russians in, well, a different type of dog surely might be needed, but let’s agree that’s probably not the case for most people. Yes the hogs are different every where in terms of how they were 50 years ago, but they are still just hogs, same as back then they were just hogs. Right here around Lee, Milam, burleson, brazos, Robertson, and Washington county. It’s all old blooded hogs from way back when. I’ve always been told this is where a lot of the “hog hunting” first started because this is where the “hog problem” originated due to the amount of hogs that were found along the yegua, the little river, and the brazos and the amount of crop country found around here. These old sand hills and swamp bottoms can get pretty rank.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 09:36:41 am »

I can say that I have bayed sounders very recently. We got to sit and watch the dogs work, 2 dogs two different times in the last 3 hunts. My Raylynn jyp was in on both. The other was Mojo once and this last one was lulu with her. They circled and stayed busy trying to contain. When we sent the catch dogs, what we didn't catch, never regrouped. They went every direction and we had to pick them off one at a time. When I was hunting Sally, she wasn't a pressure dog. She would stay back loser. Lulu is a tighter baying style. Not breathing the same air but close enough that if it's a single hog or a pair, she's close enough to grab (not pinch) one in the pride and joy. Raylynn isn't quite as tight but will also bay at the head of a single or double hog situation. Sally had the harder races because she wasn't as fast on track for one. Second, she wasn't able to grab one if it turned from as far back as she was baying. If it hit then woods or open field and she could ham it, she would. Stay all day and found a lot of hogs. Better than some ever own but not breed worthy by my standards. She was an outside blooded dog too. So I didn't want to step backwards instead of forward. I have seen Sally strike a track in the open field ( she barked some on a hot track) and when she got 75 yards in the woods the hogs were going out the exit door 200 yards further down the wood line. All headed the same direction but no 2 were together. They had no intention of taking a bay until we either got their air or got their butt. Their destination was 3/4 of a mile away. Track speed stops some, bite stops some, and some never stop lol. I can't say that I bred my dogs for a single most important trait. As said, different areas call for different approaches. When you breed for a single trait you lose valuable others. Hogs aren't prolific because one trait keeps them alive. They are alive because of multiple traits that it requires to make it. As long as they are hunted by every means possible, they will continue to evolve. The present form of everything on this earth is the result of evolution. It is what it is because it had to adapt to its environment or fade away. JMO

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:05 am »

Fact is you ether produce or you don’t and some of the time the style of dog is due to your thinking. Some guys want there dogs to be the best dog they can have some just care bout catching the hog. Yes fighting hogs stand there ground don’t mean the dogs didn’t make him. Running hogs run don’t mean the dogs made him. It’s always fight or flight with every creature on earth.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 03:58:20 pm »

Lots of good info on this thread, it’s my belief though that people definitely have different types of hogs. For example, i have about 180k of private land that’s all fields, swamp, and river owned by farmers. In that section they didn’t have hogs until 15 years ago. Originally they were easy pigs and you could stack em all day. The guy that brought me in to this sport hunts that land 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week. That’s what he does all day every day. The hogs will not hardly bay up now. They will run for 8 hours and never stop. We have one small bay dog that will occasionally bay one but about the only way to catch them is with a pack of alligators. We aren’t there to tie pigs or get meat, we have that land because farmers want pigs dead. So if a hog is dead or chewed to the bone before we get there it’s not a problem.
     Now with that being said, we hunt other pieces of land that have a totally different type of pig. We only run them a couple hundred yards sometimes and they’re caught. They don’t run far at all and we can catch 5-10 pigs pretty easy. All with the same group of dogs. That private land has had many people with good dogs invited out there and they get skunked. That’s just how that land is. It’s a lot more difficult than the average hunt. Out there we work all day for one or two pigs, unless corn is planted and then of course we catch them easier around the fields.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 04:03:56 pm »

thats exactly what i was trying to say cajun and slim .
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 04:13:15 pm »

oops i posted before i read the second place . i think it all boils down to what kind of pressure has been put on the hogs .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: